Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2011

"I just want to be free. I can say, today I am free", Ricky Martin

Last night, at the GLAAD Awards, Ricky Martin was honored with a GLAAD award in dedication of how his coming out generated unparalleled positive coverage in Latin media, not only offering a positive role model for Latino youth, but also for their parents. He received the Vitto Russo award and happily exclaimed "I just want to be free. I can say, today I am free". The GLAAD awards recognize the best portrayals of gay community members in film, television, radio, music, newspapers and blogs.

As we all know, last March Ricky announced to the world that he is a "fortunate homosexual man" and ever since he has been living his life like an open book, happy, and with no regrets. His coming-out included a TV interview with Oprah Winfrey and many other Hispanic journalists, and since then he has been heralded as a gay role model, especially for Latin Americans.

Ricky was overcome with emotion and thanked his parents for always supporting him as well as his boyfriend Carlos. I believe this was the first time Ricky publicly said the name of the man he is often seen with.

Here is the video where Ricky receives his award...enjoy!



On another note, Ricky Martin will be collaborating with the government of Puerto Rico on a campaign to boost tourism to the Caribbean island during his world tour. The Economic Development and Commerce Secretary Jose Perez-Riera said that The "Puerto Rico lo hace mejor" (Puerto Rico does it better) campaign will be featured in the advertising and on the concert entry tickets in the more than 70 cities where Martin will perform on his "Musica, Alma, Sexo" tour. During the shows, there will be videos playing that show beautiful landscapes, tourist attractions and culinary and gastronomic delicacies of Puerto Rico, Perez-Riera also said. Ricky emphasized that Puerto Rico "is always present" within him and expressed his gratitude for "the chance to be able to collaborate with this effort to position our land" more advantageously in the tourism industry via the campaign. "The chance for Puerto Rico to have a presence on each stage of this tour is an honor," the singer said. Ricky, just like many other Puertorrican singers and artists have a deep love for their country and always do what they can to show that to the rest of the world.
Ricky will open his tour "MAS" in Puerto Rico on March 25th and will travel to many cities in the United States as well as Mexico and Canada. And don't forget that in 2012 we will have the opportunity to see Ricky at his best in Broadway as he will be playing the role of "Che Guevara" in Evita. Ricky has a full schedule ahead of him but it seems like life can't get any better right now for this superstar and his family. I think we can all learn so much from the words Ricky wrote last March, read them and take from them what applies to you and your life.

"These years in silence and reflection made me stronger and reminded me that acceptance has to come from within and that this kind of truth gives me the power to conquer emotions I didn't even know existed. What will happen from now on? It doesn't matter. I can only focus on what's happening to me in this moment. The word "happiness" takes on a new meaning for me as of today. It has been a very intense process. Every word that I write in this letter is born out of love, acceptance, detachment and real contentment. Writing this is a solid step towards my inner peace and vital part of my evolution. I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am." RM


Peace and Love ;-) Candela

0 comments:

Post a Comment