Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I Am Mr. Marcus...Up Close And Personal, Exclusive Interview With Pandora's Caja


We had the pleasure of introducing you to Marcus Mitchell as one of the new members of  the second leg of Chayanne's amazing "No Hay Imposibles" world wide tour. Now we have the pleasure and the honor of giving you an exclusive interview with Marcus Mitchell, or as he is more affectionately known, "Mr. Marcus".


You've seen him over these last several months add is energy, fire and sensuality to the already incredible choreography of Nancy O'Meara, Chayanne's long time friend and choreographer. We hope that this interview will give a bit more insight to this amazing dancer.


It's my hope that after this interview if you didn't know Marcus prior to this interview, that you will get to know him a bit better, and support him on his great journey even after the NHI tour has ended. So with out further ado, Mr. Marcus.

Marcus Mitchell was born on the 27 of December 1988 in Houston, Texas to the beautiful Yvonne Mitchell and Mark Mitchell. For as long as he can remember he has been drawn to performing in front of an audience as well as being in the spotlight. Lucky for him he is as gorgeous as he is talented, two characteristics that are highly valuable within the industry and public eye. Marcus admires all artists but is particularly inspired by those who portray themselves as strong, proud and inspirational figures, something he tends to model himself after. "I believe the only reason I am in the position I'm in is because I choose to better others through my blessings & learnings" as Marcus so strongly states shortly after quoting one of his favorite authors, James Allen. "A man has to learn that he cannot command things, but that he can command himself; that he cannot coerce the wills of others, but that he can mold and master his own will: and things serve him who serves Truth; people seek guidance of him who is master of himself", strong words from such a young but wise mind. A public figure is almost an understatement when it comes to describing what Marcus represents, says he likes to be viewed as an inspirational influence and does not want to fall in the category of an idol. Marcus has a great outlook on life and doesn't let a moment go by where he's not sharing it to enrich someone else's. His hard work and perseverance have led to many great opportunities with highly respected choreographers, directors and as well as photographers. For the short amount of time Marcus has been in LA he has worked with choreographers Chuck Maldonado, Fatima Robinson, Michael Rooney, Jamal Sims, Jamaica Craft, Dave Scott, Tanisha Scott and Nancy O'meara, artists such as Ciara, Cheryl Cole, Chayanne, Natasha Beddingfield, Macy Gray and Black Eye Peas, and directors Sophie Muller, Jon M Chu, Dan Schneider, Rob Hardy and Scott Kraft.”


PC.  How did you end up in LA?
MM. I fell into the LA scene after a my first job in Atlanta "stomp the yard 2" I wanted to know more about the entertainment business more or less business sense in LA. Anxious as I was, I was informed by a good friend and mentor of mines Chuck Maldonado, who was choreographer for both stomp the yard 1 & 2 that I have the potential to pursue what I wanted to accomplish and if I wanted to I could make this a career. His first advice was "Move out to LA". Being that I am a man of faith and impulse I took his advice and fled to LA, because I believe "faith without works is dead" something that was instilled in me at a young age. Having this as a foundation I went on a mission in pursuit to begin a dream I so longed for.

PC. Which dace disciplines are you proficient in and which one is your favorite?
MM. Dance disciplines include modern, contemporary, jazz, and hip-hop. Other disciplines that make up my freestyle include Popping, boogaloo, locking, house, break dance and a hint of tricking. My favorite is boogaloo. 


PC. So your favorite style of dance is Boogaloo right? I have no clue! Tell us more about Boogaloo.
MM. The style Boogaloo is more or less a form of popping created by Poppin Pete and older brother Sam boogaloo. Boogaloo can be characterized by large fluid movements that can incorporate rolls of the hips, knees, torso and head. The name 'popping' came about as Sam would often say 'pop' under his breath as he flexed his muscles and popped. And others would say to him, "Do that popping stuff." Research the Electric Boogaloo's.

PC. Do you teach dance?
MM. Do not teach dance, too many in comers are too quick to teach dance way before even learning or understanding really what being a choreographer is. When I decide to teach and if I decide to teach I want to have permission and respect not because I want to make up an 8 count and teach but be a teacher. Leadership dwells within those who understand humility.

PC. Where do you see yourself in ten years?
MM. I see myself in ten years still strengthening my craft, still learning and being a student of life, but through different aspects not just dance; acting, modeling, music, directing etc.

PC. Who has inspired you most in your dance career?
MM. Those who have inspired me most in my dance career are those who are teaching me having a business sense in this game is the most important aspect, two of my very good friends Chuck Maldonado and Fatima Robinson two premiere beings within the, not only the dance world, but industry.

PC. Tell us about your modeling
MM. Modeling is something I have recently been pursuing and loving it. I am currently building my portfolio by some of the most respected photographers and can’t wait to step in that profession.


PC. Tell us, what are the things that you enjoy and don't enjoy so much about the dance audition process?
MM. Dance auditions can be a headache but at the same time an amazing experience. One has to realize that this is a business so where there's a business politics aren't too far behind. An audition can be looked at as a learning experience or a preparing experience, you can learn from your mistakes or you can just be being prepared if a choreographer doesn’t think you're seasoned enough but see's potential. But all in all the atmosphere within an audition is breath taking, so much talent, the intense sense of urgency and the feeling of performing in front of peers and the choreographers, a feeling unexplainable.

PC. Of all the choreographers that you've had the pleasure or working with, who's choreography would you say is the most challenging?
MM. I would def say Jaquel Knight, that boi makes you dance. I can honestly say doing job with him made me a better dancer.

 PC. Most of our readers have come to know you because you're currently on tour with Mega Star Chayanne. Tell us what you like most about performing with him.
MM. I love his energy and most of all the FANS! Every country brings a new aspect of comfort.

PC. What is your favorite number in the show and why?
MM. I would say Provocame because I open the show LOL.

PC. Tell us about your experience working with Nancy O'Meara, Chayanne's longtime friend and choreographer.
MM. Nancy O'Meara is an amazing person to work with and even a better friend, I am grateful every time I am able to work alongside a well-respected choreographer that believes in me and my potential. Nancy is a burst of energy and is always pushing you past your limits, one of the few choreographers within this industry that takes a chance on inexperienced dancers because she sees something special that she can teach and mold them into.

PC. Are you single? If so are you looking?
MM. "Laughs" yes I am single, and no I not searching only because I’m waiting. I was always told a man shouldn’t go out seeking but allow it to come to him. I believe everyone has someone out there for them, either you're ready and they're still being prepared or they're ready and you're still being prepared for them.

 PC. What attributes attract you to a young lady?
MM. I’m not going to lie LOL! I am sucker for beautiful eyes. Other than that you have to challenge me and have something that says interesting about yourself. A woman that doesn’t have her head on straight and does not know what she wants in life will not get my attention, she has to have a sense of humility about herself, I have to connect with your personality meaning your personality has to be able to stand on its own. Most importantly she would have had to loved God first because being a Woman of God lets me know you can love me and vise verse.

PC. What is your idea of a perfect date?
MM. A perfect date... hmm let’s see, I would have to say me preparing dinner and getting to know her on a personal level. I might be weird for this but I like the connection between a man and woman when you can silently sit in each other’s presence and enjoy their company.

PC. What are your MP3 must have’s
MM. Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstong, Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Anita Baker, Rochelle Ferrell, Michael Buble, Adele, Lauryn Hill, D'Angelo

PC. What would we find on your night table?
MM. A Bible.

PC. I love the fact that the book we would find on your night stand is a Bible. Tell us what is your favorite passage?
MM. Oh I can tell you that off the top of my head, 2 Corinthians 5:7 walk by faith not by sight.

PC. What would be the one thing that a young lady could say or do to get your attention?
MM. One thing a young lady could do to get my attention is not pay me any attention or show any interest.

PC. As far as women, what is your one big "turn off"?
MM. My biggest turn off would be insecurity, i like confidence.

PC. You said your perfect date would include preparing dinner, right? That means you can cook! Tell us what is your best recipe?
MM. My best recipe would be lemon shrimp scampi with garlic chicken or chicken and dumplings.

PC. What do you think of Chayanne's fans (We can be VERY focused! LOL)
MM. Chayanne's Fans are to say amazing would be an understatement. It’s a warmth each and every one of Chayanne’s fans have to them, and it makes us dancers better performers when we feel we are being appreciate in that one point in time on stage.

PC. Is there anything you would like to say to Chayanne's fans?
MM. To all the Chayanne fans Thank You and I hope I will be seeing much more of you.

We know we'll be seeing more of Marcus Mitchell! Stay tuned for the launch of Marcus' new website, "Marcus Mitchell" I know it's going to be hot.....how could it not be!

In the mean time you can follow Marcus on Twitter and FaceBook and Mr. Marcus TV!

You can join "Team Marcus" on Twitter and be the first to know all things Marcus Mitchell!

~Peace

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This young man is an inspiration to all..young and old. I am very proud of him. I know you all will be seeing a lot more of him...can't wait..

Post a Comment